Sunday 12 August 2012

Uniform Dating?

Continuing along the 'happens when you least expect it' journey, ever the optomist, I still had some hope...heaven only knows why. However, I figured that the 'boy's eyes meet girl's across crowded room' scenario happened all the time in the movies and, even occasionally, in my friends' real lives.

I just had to have faith and, it seemed, a great deal of patience. So, having dismissed the idea of joining evening glasses to help the search to meet like minded souls along (would you...after the Psycho Chef episode?!), I sat back and waited for my personal Prince Charming to come galloping into my life.... pleased that we rely on mechanical means of transport these days, as his white charger was likely to have died by the time he chose to arrive....

Apparently about 20% of couples meet at work. Maybe it would happen there...

Or maybe not...after all the criminally-minded great unwashed were hardly a fertile man-hunting ground, albeit a fertile mating ground with their criminally-minded female counterparts! Call me too fussy if you will, but a tattoed youth with more convictions than the Old Bailey was not what my heart desired!

On the other side of the fence, I did, however,often meet attractive police officers and, one year, was even one of a select band of defence lawyers invited to the CID Christmas party. Having chatted all evening to a sexy Detective Sergeant who I'd seen around a lot and who I was finding hard to resist, I was horrified to note a telltale tan line on the fourth finger of his left hand. Sadly, not soon enough. In fact, not until the day after common sense had given way to carnal desires and I'd introuduced him to my bedroom ceiling...

It therefore gave me great pleasure to donate the watch, that he'd left by my bed in error, to charity as, in light of his behaviour, he'd been to embarrassed to ask for it back! At that point I decided dating police officers was not an option. Life was hard enough, without having to retain a semblance of professionalism when your eyes met across a crowded interview room, a week later, whilst a client described why his own sexual misdemeanours were consensual. Ouch!

So, as far as work went, the opportunities for romance were not looking good. Having discounted anyone in a uniform with a truncheon (behave, ladies!) there was one final possibility. Alongside my criminal practice I also worked, in a different guise, with local  councillors. One practically prehistoric one, with a penchant for slime-green nylon rollnecks, did tell me that I looked like a school girl with my hair up whilst licking his lips lavisciously! This was just after he'd peered far to closely at a female colleague's name badge, pinned near her chest, and said he looked forward to doing lots of evening meetings with her...! It may have been a come on....but not one I was prepared to entertain.

Time to conclude that maybe the office was not the place to meet a mate and actually, if this was the standard did I want to meet one anyway...?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment