Sunday 12 August 2012

The Need for Speed!

It has been suggested that I try speed dating....could there be a more appropriate time to write about this subject (which I have tried, you may not be surprised to hear!) than whilst watching the fastest athletes in the world on London 2012 highlights!

Sadly, Sir Chris, Mr Bolt and Mr Ainslie had already been snapped up when I went speed dating and Tom Daley was still in short trousers, so I had to contend with the dozen or so suspects rounded up for the speed dating event in the small city where I live.
First lesson - only ever go speed dating in big cities where lots of people live and lots of people attend!

With only 24 people in the room it soon became clear that at least 4 of the men were friends of the organiser, brought in to make up the numbers, and quite probably happily attached. One of the remaining 8 guys was a friend, who I'd gone along with, so that bought the possibilities down to 7. The odds weren't looking good, especially as one man took great pride in announcing his unemployment and love of sci-fi films that he enjoyed watching with his parents (he was 38 and still lived at home); another was clearly smitten with a willowy blonde participant he'd clocked at the bar before the excrutiating 3 minute slots began and a third guy dressed all in black, needing a good shave and resembling the BeeGees circa 1970. I knew he was a no no when he told me he reenacted historic battles in his spare time. Well that would at least explain the facial hair. Nothing wrong with any of that, just not really my type...

I accept the response of I, and the friends I was with, was not the most grown up  - in our defence it was a few years ago - but the only way to get through the evening appeared to be another bottle of wine. By the end of the evening I was struggling to think straight, let alone tick the box next to the one guy I did like.

I had to wait until the next day to see whether he'd entered a matching tick and our contact details were to be exchanged by the organiser. I was very excited to receive an email but, as I recall, the object of my desire's name was Jack....not Gary...
'Hi you...I really enjoyed meeting you last night...I was wondering whether you fancied coming to watch a battle at the weekend...'

I will never know whether It was my crooked ticks or the organisers cross eyes...suffice to say that I have never tried speed dating again.....

Second lesson - never drink wine and speed date at the same time!

And now I plan to watch the speediest people alive celebrate their Olympic success, because they are far more worthy of our attentions this evening than anyone you will be hearing about in subsequent blogs..... enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment