Wednesday 5 September 2012

My Dyson - Snap, Crackle and Pop (Part 4)!

A whole three days after I left my Kindred Spirits voice mails, I received a called. He was clearly working on man time, not girl time! 

I was in the pub with a friend when my mobile beeped. On retrieving my phone, from amidst the tangle of poo-bags, Tampax and legal aid forms populating my handbag, I realised it was my answer service:

'You have 1 new message and fifteen saved messages.

Crackle crackle … Hi – it’s…crackle…from the Daily Telegraph. Just returning your call. Off to rehearsal now; will try you again tomorrow, or you can call me if you like on....crackle.’

First problem - a phone line that crackled more than a bowl of rice crispies. I listened at least five times and still couldn’t make out the name of the caller. This was going to be tricky. Had I in fact left my number for the West Country Womble and this was him or was it the, ex-RAF, amateur dramatics loving flyer from Hampshire with a very similar name. Goodness only knew. As the contact details left were a mobile number, the only other clue I had was the fact that he was off to rehearsal.

It could be either. Maybe the Spielberg part had come off - although if Tim from Bristol really had made the big time and was working with Hollywood royalty would he really have time to call dippy Daisy, the UK- based owner of three cuddly wombles?

There was nothing for it, but to wait and hope he called back. I didn't have to wait long and after some initial awkward stumbling conversation, so as not to give away the fact that I had hedged my bets and left messages for two guys, I worked out that this was the ex-RAF flyer. Twenty minutes later, despite him complaining bitterly of suffering from a cold and sounding a little fierce (maybe he was nervous) we did also laugh, so agreed to meet for supper a few days later...my first experience ever of this sort of contrived date...carrying on the cereal theme - would this snappy date with the crackly phone be the man to make my ovaries pop...?

No comments:

Post a Comment