Monday 5 November 2012

The 'F' Word!

It was a very long night. Six clients advised and 4am after a 17 hour stretch at the police station, I was secretly quite pleased when my services were unceremeoniously dispensed with by a young shoplifter who didn't like my advice. As he so eloquently put it, 'F*ck off; you're sacked!'

An occupational hazzard in the role of a criminal lawyer when you tell a client the true position rather than the one he or she wants to hear. It generally goes something like this:

Me - 'You're going to be charged with theft.'

Client - 'I don't give a sh*t what they charge me wiv. Just f*cking get me outta here.'

Me -  'Ok, well I shall make representatives to the Custody Sergeant but...'

Client - 'Just get me out. I ain't done nuffin. Not guilty all the way. Those b*stards stitched me up.'

Me - 'Ok. I hear you, but you do have 26 previous convictions for theft, are on bail for 3 outstanding dishonesty matters and have failed to surrender on bail in the past. I will do my best, but...'

Client - 'F*UCK OFF. You're sacked...'

Believe it or not, my job does have an upside...! This isn't one of them...Later...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment