Monday 12 November 2012

Cold Feet!

Thank God it's a new week, as last week didn't turn out to be a great one. Sad to report that not only was I 'sacked' in a professional capacity by the young shoplifter, Classified also bolted, after an intial bout of man flu turned into a serious case of cold feet.

I only have myself to blame as I ignored my own advice and dated yet another man too soon; whilst the debris of divorce still loomed large in his life.

I've been there before - twice. On both occasions I became the innocent casualty of the divorce monster - becoming very close to men who weren't ready, only to be dumped by text/email some months later. In this instance, short of decanting to Australia until Classified had sorted out his domestic carnage, I couldn't have given him more space ... so just shows that if it's meant to work it will do regardless of whether you follow 'The Rules'.

He didn't tell me in person - I received a text about everything going on in his life and why he couldn't have a relationship. I suppose it's an improvement on 'Fuck off. You're sacked,' but not much, even though I sympathise with the pressure he is under.

He did, however, want to carry on 'hanging out' with me - whatever that means. I thought that's what we were doing anyway - spending time getting to know each other, enjoying a mutual attraction. I wasn't exactly planning a fast track to the altar!


This episode brings me back to the insidious side of the Internet world. As it is so easily accessible, very decent people join out of curiosity long before they're ready and people like me who join with emotional baggage safely stored and the intention of doing something positive to meeting someone new end up as the casualties.

Classified is a decent man, and I still like him a lot, but is nowhere near ready to date. Unfortunately for me, in the process of working that out, he gave me every reason to believe that he could see us having a relationship if we just took things slowly - after all, it was him who was suggesting future holidays in Dubai, telling me how comfortable he felt around me, planning new year in New York, inviting me away on business junkets to exciting places and generally behaving in a manner that suggested he saw us together going forward.

He then got cold feet and I'm left feeling like I've had a bucket of cold water thrown at me....

Who knows, maybe he'll call when he finds his winter socks...and warms up!

No comments:

Post a Comment