Saturday 29 December 2012

Discount Dating!

Other people get 'round robin' notes in Christmas cards and emails from friends exaggerating the success of their offspring, listing the holidays and home improvements they've undertaken and  wishing festive cheer to every acquaintance who has ever flitted through their contact list. I had a few of those...

However, more prevalent amidst 2012's flurry of Christmas greetings was a barrage of emails from dating sites - large and small - offering discounts and, in once instance, a 7 day  free membership. Who was I to refuse? After all, you just never know and maybe all the good guys, who had had as many bad experiences as me and previously cancelled memberships in disgust, would take up the cudgel and join for a few days....I might get lucky...

So it was that I clicked the button to activate this Christmas gift from the kindly individuals at one of the broadsheet dating sites.

Clearly everyone of the other ten thousand members had the same idea as within 24 hours I was inundated with messages....half of which came from men who had emailed me before and I had politely declined due to geography, age or inability to write in sentences who had clearly forgotten our earlier communications; a few generic emails came from men who had clearly sent the same communication to every woman on the site within a certain age range and one came from a man who lived some considerable way away.

I shan't divulge where for now but, let's just say, it wouldn't be massively convenient to meet for a quick coffee. My immediate reaction was to think he must have misread my location. After reading his email I realised that he had not - therefore the obvious conclusion must be that he was mad, despite his eloquent and interesting missive. How did he think we were going to rendezvous in Starbucks when a sea, various continents and a few thousand miles divided us?!

God, the guy I dated, before Classified, struggled with a 150 mile distance! So what's a sane woman to do in these circumstances? Thanks, but no thanks, of course...


However, as you know, Daisy's sanity is clearly already questionable ... on the basis she still believes in love and romance despite everything ....so she did what any insane person would do....poured herself a glass of champagne and emailed him back.....would this be the first installment of many....?

No comments:

Post a Comment